* Goldstein v. Metropolitan Regional Information Systems, Inc., 2016 WL 4257457 (D. Md. Aug. 11, 2016)
* Seide v. Level-(1) Global Solutions, LLC, 2016 WL 4206076 (N.D. Ill. Aug. 10, 2016):
* BMG Rights Management (US) LLC v. Cox Communications, Inc., 2016 WL 4224964 (E.D. Va. Aug. 8, 2016):
* Disney Enterprises v. VidAngel, 2:16-cv-04109 (C.D. Cal. Dec. 12, 2016). There is no space-shifting exception to 1201’s anti-circumvention restrictions. Also:
The Family Home Movie Act didn’t apply because:
VidAngel’s defense failed in part because:
* Public Knowledge: The Growing List of How the Copyright Office Has Failed Us. Full report.
* Sisyphus Touring, Inc. v. TMZ Productions, Inc., CV No. 15-09512-RSWL-PJW (C.D. Cal. Sept. 23, 2016):
* Ouellette v. Viacom International, Inc., 2016 WL 7407244 (9th Cir. Dec. 22, 2016). Another 512(f) case fails due to Rossi. Prior blog posts (1, 2).
* Opinion Corp. v. Roca Labs, Inc., 2016 WL 6824383 (M.D. Fla. Nov. 17, 2016). You can’t even win a 17 USC 512(f) case on a default judgment.
* TorrentFreak: [Canadian] Court Awards Damages Following Bogus DMCA Takedowns
* Devil’s Advocate LLC v. Zurich American Insurance Company, No. 15-1048. (4th Cir. Nov. 22, 2016).
Prior blog post.
* The Board of Immigration Appeals holds that a person can be deported for criminal copyright infringement because it is a crime of moral turpitude.
* Ars Technica on EU’s proposed copyright reforms (hint: it’s not going well). Financial Times: “The kindest interpretation one can place on these proposals is that the commission has simply misunderstood the digital marketplace. A more cynical view is that it has caved in to fierce lobbying by a number of powerful European publishers”
* A new chapter in the linking saga
* Michael Geist: Music Canada Reverses on Years of Copyright Lobbying: Now Says WIPO Internet Treaties Were Wrong Guess
* Kirtsaeng denied his attorneys’ fees again.
* ABA Journal: Who’s the pirate? Lawyers join forces to fight allegedly bogus claims of pay-TV theft
* GQ: An Oral History of “We Built This City,” the Worst Song of All Time
* James Grimmelmann: “Alternative Publishing Models For Cost-Conscious Professors”
* FTC Charges Academic Journal Publisher OMICS Group Deceived Researchers
* Does clickbait apply to academia?
The content in this post was found at http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2016/12/2h-2016-quick-links-part-2-copyright-open-access.html and was not authored by the moderators of freeforafee.com. Clicking the title link will take you to the source of the post.